Every winter, I dream about harvesting garden-fresh zucchini. I envision the many recipes I would make with my zucchini harvest and dream of its delicate flavour and light texture. Then zucchini season rolls around and I’m inundated with fruit and looking for ways to use the abundance and gift the rest.
One of my favourite ways to enjoy zucchini is Zucchini Fritters! Over the years I’ve experimented by adding different ingredients and have discovered some tasty combinations. The recipe I will be sharing is probably my favourite one!
Use your frozen grated zucchini for this recipe. Simply defrost it and drain over a colander. Squeeze out any excess water and continue the recipe as you would, if the zucchini was added fresh.
Exclusive Blog Post PDF
It’s one of my favourite ways to enjoy zucchini. Download the printable PDF version of this recipe.
Your download has been sent to the email you provided.
Recipe for Zucchini Fritters:
- 1 zucchini – grated and water squeezed out (or 1 portioned frozen bag, defrosted and water squeezed out)
- 2 green onions or small bunch chives, chopped
- Dill – 1 tsp dry or 2 tsp fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil sour cream or plain yogurt, optional
- Mix zucchini and salt together in a bowl
- Drain zucchini water that emerges
- Add egg to zucchini and stir together
- Add green onions, dill and feta and stir together
- Add flour and mix until evenly stirred
- Add additional flour, a tablespoon at a time if batter seem wet; only add enough to hold the mixture together
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat
- Fry large spoonfuls of zucchini mixture, until browned on both sides
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt
I hope you enjoy these zucchini fritters as much as I do. If you find that your batter falls apart a bit, this is because your zucchini released additional water and it wasn’t squeezed out. To remedy this, add more flour, a tablespoon at a time. Do this until you are able to spoon the mixture into the pan. The consistency will be a bit loose, but that is intentional. The purpose of the flour is simply to hold the mixture together. As you fry the fritters, they will develop a crunch on the outside. However, the inside will remain moist and delicious. These fritters may be served hot or cold.